What is Invisalign?
Invisalign®, the revolutionary system from Align Technology USA, is transforming the way we practice Orthodontics. This straightens your teeth, without wires and brackets, using a series of clear, customized and removable appliances called aligners. It is virtually undetectable, which means hardly anyone will know that you’re straightening your teeth.
Advantages of Invisalign
- No Metal Wires – you can straighten your teeth without everyone knowing
- Clear Aligners – Nearly invisible
- Removable – You can brush and floss normally
- No Diet Restriction – You are free to eat whatever you desire
- Comfortable – Aligners are tailor-made to your teeth, so there is little pain and irritation
Why Choose Invisalign at Dr Joy Dental Clinics?
- Diamond Certified Orthodontists: We are recognized as the highest-level providers of Invisalign in Dubai, UAE
- Latest Technologies: No more gooey impressions. We use hi-tech digital scanners to scan your teeth
- Faster Case Submissions: Using digital scanners enable us to send the scans digitally to Invisalign in just a few minutes.
- Accuracy & Better Fit: Digital scanners are far superior to regular impressions, which makes your aligners fit better, resulting in more accurate treatment.
- Multidisciplinary Dental Team in each Practice: Many cases require adjunctive dental treatments such as crowns, implants or restorations. Having all specialists within one practice allows our Orthodontists to plan your unique case to ensure a comprehensive and accurate treatment result.
What is the process of Invisalign treatment?
Step 1 – Consultation & Examination
Your first step is to visit our practise to have a consultation, examination with our orthodontist to determine if Invisalign is suitable for you.
Step 2 – Orthodontic Records
Radiograph/ Photograph and scans are done to assess your case and help the orthodontist develop a comprehensive treatment plan.
Step 3 – Digital Scan
A digital scan of all your teeth are done. This take will take approximately 10-15 mins. This scan is then digitally sent to Align Technology to plan your Invisalign treatment.
Step 4 – Review of chin-cheek ratio
The orthodontist will send a detailed prescription of your treatment to Align Technology. Using advanced digital software Align Technology will create a virtual video of your teeth moving from its initial position to final position.
Your orthodontist will review the video and will make numerous changes as requested to ensure the movements are feasible that they produce the desired result.
This is the most important step as the entire treatment depends on the accuracy of the movement. Only an experienced orthodontist can ensure that the video is an actual representation of the final outcome.
The video will be shared with you and once approved, Align Technology will manufacture the aligner and ship it to us.
What are the benefits of Invisalign over traditional braces?
Invisalign braces are clear alternative to traditional braces. Here’s why –
APPEARANCE Invisalign straightens teeth without the requirement of wires and brackets. It uses a series of clear, customized, removable appliances called as aligners. When you have a special occasion coming up, you can just remove your aligners and put them back when you’re ready. Even otherwise, they look virtually invisible and saves the embarrassment of metal braces.
DURATION OF TREATMENT Although treatment time varies depending on the severity of misaligned teeth, with Invisalign you’re on your way to the smile you want faster! Also, you require less doctor visits and is therefore, ideal for your busy schedule! Invisalign treatment time is considered to vary between 6 to 18 months.
COMFORT Invisalign can be easily removed when necessary. You can remove them for eating, drinking and regular oral hygiene. Also, unlike braces, you may eat and drink whatever you desire, provided you just remove your aligners and brush your teeth after eating.
SAFETY Clear aligners are smooth and comfortable unlike the traditional braces that have protruding and sharp edges causing irritation inside the mouth and gums. With Invisalign you don’t have to worry about injuries from broken wires and brackets.
RESULTS With no surprises, you always know what results to expect with Invisalign. This is possible as there is a complete treatment plan which is fully computerized claiming to achieve 75% more predictable tooth movement. This facilitates you to know all details such as what to expect, how long would you require wearing the aligners etc.
Is Invisalign suitable for all cases?
Invisalign works for many, but not all cases. Our Specialist Orthodontist will examine and assess if you are a suitable candidate for Invisalign.
GAPPED TEETH – Gaps between teeth
OVERBITE – Excessive overlap of upper teeth over the lower teeth
UNDERBITE – Excessive overlap of lower teeth over the upper teeth
OPEN BITE – Gaps between upper and lower teeth
OVERLY CROWDED – Lack of space within your jaw to position teeth normally
CROSS BITE – Top front teeth fall behind your lower front teeth when you bite down
How does Invisalign work?
Each aligner is designed to move your teeth by a small amount. Aligners are changed approximately 7-10 days interval. Each succeeding aligner progressively moves your teeth towards the planned final position.
How long should i wear my aligners?
It is important that you wear your aligner every day for 22 hours so that the next set of fit accurately. If the aligners dont fit well then your teeth will also not move to the desired position to the full extent.
You may remove them for the below:
- Eating and drinking: As the aligner will act as a barrier between your teeth and food, it is most convenient to remove the aligners and enjoy food you love. Also, you can drink liquids with aligners on provided you are cautious about staining the aligners with certain beverages such as sodas, coffee or tea.
- Oral Hygiene: One of the biggest advantages of Invisalign is that it enables you to take care of your oral hygiene by following daily regimen of brushing and flossing.
Are there any restrictions to what i can eat?
With the removable nature of aligners, you can eat and drink whatever you desire while undergoing your treatment. It is extremely important to maintain your oral hygiene and it is advisable to brush your teeth and floss after your meals before you reinsert the aligners.
Will wearing the Invisalign aligners affect my speech?
Change in speech patterns with Invisalign are minor, temporary or never occur at all. In certain cases, there will be a slight change of speech for a day or two. As as your tongue adapts to the aligners, any minor speech impairment will disappear.
When you wear Invisalign for the first time, you might notice a certain lisp. However, this lisp is only noticeable to you and might be only heard when you speak “s” or “sh” sounds.
Even if Invisalign causes speech impairment for a while, it is best recommended to practice pronouncing words with the aligners on. Read out loud to yourself or have extended conversation with your friends or family.
As your tongue will adapt to these aligners, this lisp will disappear on its own.
Is there any pain with Invisalign treatment?
Invisalign uses very light forces and generally does not cause any severe pain. There might be some pressure and minor discomfort for a day or two after changing an aligner.
How do I take care of my Invisalign aligners?
Although Invisalign allows for aligners to be removed for eating and drinking, failing to clean your trays properly afterwards can result in discoloration and a buildup of bacteria.
- Rinse your aligners when you remove them. Dry saliva and plaque create a perfect breeding ground for foul smelling bacteria.
- Soak your aligners. Denture cleaner, Retainer Brite, and the official Invisalign cleaning crystals are all excellent options for keeping your trays clear and sanitized.
- Brush and floss your teeth before reinserting your aligners. Proper oral hygiene is key to maintaining healthy teeth and avoiding cavities and decay. Since Invisalign is form fitted, failing to brush and floss properly can trap harmful particles between your teeth and aligner, which increases your risk for dental issues in the future.
- Clean your aligners with a clear anti-bacterial soft soap. A clear anti-bacterial soap is an excellent and inexpensive way to keep your aligners clear, fresh, and free from harmful bacteria.
- Brush your aligners gently. Vigorous brushing can scratch your aligners and leave visible etchings.
- Eat or drink (anything but water) while wearing Invisalign. Many foods and drinks can stain or discolor your aligners and cause them to stink.
- Use toothpaste to clean your aligners. Many types of toothpaste (especially those with whitening agents) are abrasive and can dull your aligners or create small traps for bacteria to dwell.
- Use colored soaps. Although anti-bacterial soap is a great way to clean your Invisalign braces, using anything but clear soap can cause your aligners to take on alternative hues and shades.
- Leave your aligners exposed or unprotected while eating. Aside from an increased risk of misplacing them, leaving your aligners in the open exposes them to harmful germs and bacteria. Rinse them, soak them, and then rinse them again before returning them to your mouth.
How long is the treatment with Invisalign?
Every patient is different, so without comprehensive oral examination by our orthodontist, it’s impossible to tell how long treatment will take. However, Invisalign usually takes a little less time than conventional orthodontics. The length of treatment depends on the severity of your case and can only be determined by your dentist; however, the average case takes about 12 months for adults.
How often do I have to visit the dentist during my treatment?
Your doctor will schedule regular appointments, usually about once every four to six weeks. The goal of these visits is to ensure that your treatment is progressing as planned.
Will smoking stain the aligners?
We discourage smoking while wearing aligners because it is possible for the aligners to become discolored.
Can I drink alcohol with the aligners in?
Because of the high sugar content in alcohol, a moderate amount would be fine to consume, if care is taken to clean the teeth and the aligners soon after so as not to trap sugar between them. The same applies for any sugary beverage.
Can I chew gum while wearing aligners?
No, gum will stick to the aligners. We recommend removing your aligners for all meals and snacks.
What happens after my treatment is complete?
Like regular braces, retainers are required for all patients on completion of the Invisalign® treatment. The orthodontist will make one final scan your teeth in the same process used for the Invisalign trays. Once that scan is complete, we give our patients Vivera retainers from Invisalign that are very durable and accurate. In some cases, we also recommend a bonded wire retainer behind the front teeth.
Several patients make the wrongful assumption that their final Invisalign tray can serve as a retainer in order to save time, money or physical appearances. This cannot work since the trays are not made for long term wear and can become weak over time. Since the trays for Invisalign are only made for month long periods, they can get dirty and discolor very quickly. They are not designed to be cleaned the same way retainers are and will, therefore, get less and less appealing the longer they are worn.
How much does Invisalign cost?
Depending on the complexity of the scan and the extent of crowding or malalignment our orthodontist will estimate the treatment time and give you a treatment plan and cost.
It is also important to understand that there is a range of Invisalign treatment available such as Invisalign, Invisalign Lite, Invisalign Teen. Our orthodontist will recommend the best suitable treatment plan for you.
From dental implants to porcelain veneers and many other advanced treatments, Dr Joy Dental Clinic offers a wide variety of options to help you maintain a beautiful, healthy smile. These before-and-after photos show the results that many of our patients now enjoy after treatment. If you would like to learn more about how Dr Joy can help you meet your needs, please contact us today.