Crowded or misaligned teeth often overlap each other uncomfortably. A bit of overlapping is normal and may not cause any major discomfort or issues. If severely misaligned teeth are left untreated, it can lead to other serious oral health issues. Apart from looking un-aesthetic like having a crooked smile, misaligned teeth can make biting and chewing painful. From genetics to insufficient space within the jawbone, there are multiple causes of overlapping teeth. Let’s understand the different causes, the available orthodontic treatments like dental braces and Invisalign, and the benefits of fixing misaligned teeth.
What are the Causes of misaligned Teeth?
Experts generally classify the reason into two categories –
a) Primary overlapping/misaligned teeth caused due to genetics
b) Secondary misaligned teeth caused by habits such as thumb sucking
Other reasons for misaligned teeth are as mentioned below:
- If the mouth is too small to accommodate the teeth, it results in crowding and shifting of teeth.
- If the upper and lower jaw aren’t of the same size, it may result in either an overbite or an underbite.
- Sometimes, people may have extra teeth, which can put excessive pressure on their front teeth, causing them to overlap.
- Missing teeth and certain other unusual conditions, which hinder natural teeth eruption can cause them to overlap.
- Poorly done dental restorations, including dental treatments such as fillings and crowns, are also known causes of misaligned teeth.
- Oral health problems such as gingivitis or tumors in mouth and jaw often affect the structure of teeth, causing them to become misaligned.
- Sometimes, even wisdom teeth are responsible for disturbing the teeth alignment
What Are the Benefits of Fixing Misaligned Teeth?
If you fix misaligned teeth before it turns severe, you can benefit in several ways.
- Brushing and flossing teeth and gums become easier, which helps curtail the risk of cavities, decay, and gum diseases.
- Excessive wear and tear of teeth are reduced.
- It reduces the risk of teeth getting damaged in case of an accident.
- Chewing isn’t a problem, so the associated oral and overall issues are also eliminated.
- A straight smile helps boost your personality, and as a result, your confidence to speak and smile in public is increased.
What Are the Treatments Available?
If you are looking for solutions to fix misaligned teeth, listed below are the two widely used orthodontic treatments.
Braces – It is one of the most effective and common approaches used to fix misaligned teeth. There are various types of braces available today. From traditional metal braces to lingual braces that are attached to the back of your teeth, you can take your pick depending on aesthetics, price, comfort, etc.
Invisalign – These aligners are one of the most preferred orthodontic treatments today for fixing misaligned teeth. They are chosen over braces because of their multiple benefits. They are a set of clear aligners that are customized to fit your teeth perfectly. They are easily removable, convenient, comfortable, and almost invisible.
Even though misaligned teeth might seem like a trivial condition that can be left untreated, it shouldn’t be ignored. It may have serious repercussions on your oral as well as overall health.
If you are looking for solutions to fix misaligned teeth, get in touch with our expert team of Orthodontics today. Contact us at 800-DRJOY(37569) and book your appointment or click here. We are dedicated to offer you exceptional oral care for a straight and healthy smile.