Gum Disease Treatment
Gum Disease (Gingivitis)
Gum disease (Gingivitis) often develops slowly without causing any pain and can begin at just about any age. Sometimes you may not have any symptoms until the disease has advanced and spread to the supporting bone (Periodontitis), causing loss of bone and eventually loss of tooth.
The term gum disease or periodontal disease describes bacterial growth and production of factors that gradually destroys the tissue surrounding and supporting the teeth.
Warning Signs of Gum Disease
- Bleeding gums
- Bad breath
- Red swollen and tender gums
- Pus discharge
- Loose or separating teeth
- Gums that have pulled away from the teeth exposing the root
Therefore, it is very important to have a regular dental check up and periodontal examination done, preferably, once in 3 months. A Periodontist is a specialist who specializes in prevention, diagnosis and treatment of periodontal disease. Using the latest techniques and minor periodontal surgical procedures, a Periodontist can solve your gum problems comprehensively.
Recent studies have shown a link between gum disease and more serious health problems such as heart disease, stroke, diabetes, respiratory disease and preterm low birth weight babies. Just getting your teeth cleaned cannot solve this problem. You need a specialist to correctly diagnose and treat these problems.
If you have any of the above signs, best to contact us for an appointment.
Procedures to treat Gum Disease
- Non surgical Treatment (Scaling, Root planning, Local drug delivery)
- Periodontal Surgery (pocket reduction procedure and regenerative procedure, soft tissue grafts.)
- LASER: Our periodontist uses a Laser to treat many gum problems thus avoiding a surgery. Laser assisted treatment ensures more comfort, no bleeding and very fast healing for our patients. Sometimes within two days your gums will look completely normal after laser surgery!
- Cosmetic Gum Surgery (correction of gummy smile, making dark gums into pink, root coverage procedures to cover the exposed roots/long teeth) helps to create a beautiful smile
Remember healthy gums can make your teeth last a lifetime!
Advantages of Laser Dentistry when treating Gum Disease
- Procedure is minimally invasive and precise with no cutting and suturing.
- Discomfort is considerably less during and after surgery as compared to standard surgeries.
- Fewer visits required to the Dentist as compared to traditional surgeries
- Shrinkage of the gums is minimal, following the treatment as compared to the traditional surgery.
- Less or No swelling caused after surgery
- Faster recovery time – normally within 24 hours.
- Procedure is safe for patients with health concerns such as diabetes, hemophilia, or those taking medications such as Plavix or aspirin
From dental implants to porcelain veneers and many other advanced treatments, Dr Joy Dental Clinic offers a wide variety of options to help you maintain a beautiful, healthy smile. These before-and-after photos show the results that many of our patients now enjoy after treatment. If you would like to learn more about how Dr Joy can help you meet your needs, please contact us today.